Admin

Welcome to Rutherford Elementary

Welcome To Rutherford Elementary School!

Rutherford Elementary first opened in 1965 with Dr. Ralph Kerr serving as its first principal. The school was named in honor of Mr. Sam Peter Turpin Rutherford, or "Papa Sam" as he was called by his family. He was born on February 6, 1910, in Mesquite, Texas, when the Dallas suburb's population was about 150 and attended school in the community. 

Sam RutherfordAfter college, Mr Rutherford returned and became a pillar of the our community as a Mesquite builder, businessman and leader. In addition to revolutionizing house moving as a home relocator and building contractor, Mr. Rutherford also became an important community servant. True to a servant's heart, he was a charter member of the Mesquite Volunteer Fire Department serving as its Fire Chief, served on Mesquite City Council and was our town’s mayor from 1947-1949.

Mr. Rutherford was always interested in the welfare of our city’s youth and served on the Mesquite ISD School Board at two different times, from 1946-1949 and from 1960-1963. He donated the land for his namesake school as well as the city park. Even after Rutherford Elementary was constructed, he donated 50 Live Oak trees to be planted and to beautify the park and school area. Although Mr Rutherford passed away on June 5, 1973, he left an everlasting legacy here in Mesquite.

 

 

Recent News